14 July 2016

Denis Suarez: It's never easy at big clubs

Winger knows he'll have to fight for his place

My piece for MARCA




As Barcelona's new signing, Denis Suarez is under no illusions about the task ahead of him as he seeks to break into the starting line-up.

Suarez rejoined the club this summer after a year at Villarreal which followed a successful season-long loan at Sevilla the season previous.

"In the best teams it's always difficult to play, but I'll give it my all and try to do the job wherever the coach selects me," he said at a sponsorship event.

"I've really grown as a player these last two years and now I just want to keep learning here at Barcelona.


"I will take my opportunities."


ORIGINAL ARTICLE HERE AT MARCA IN ENGLISH

Borja Baston enters crucial transfer window

Severe injury could put move in doubt

My piece for MARCA




An injury for Borja Baston during Atletico training may well have an impact on the timetable of his mooted exit from the club.

The striker had been training apart from the main squad as pre-season ratchets up for the beaten Champions League finalists, however the player endured a fracture on his lower arm during a freak accident which will require surgery. The striker was hit by a rubber band which also caused extensive bleeding.

Baston, who hit 18 goals for Eibar last term having struck on 23 occasions the previous season at Real Zaragoza, is being tracked by many clubs right across Europe.

Atletico are hoping to raise some €15 million from his sale and while Valencia, Sevilla and Malaga domestically may have difficulty matching that fee there is also interest from the buoyant English market.

Baston, who has been at the club since he was just four years of age, is entering the final year of his contract and interest has also been registered in his service from Russia and Germany.


But it is England, flush with money from a fresh television rights deal, that remains his most likely destination unless the full extent of his injury and the recuperation time reveal a serious injury.


ORIGINAL ARTICLE HERE AT MARCA IN ENGLISH

Soler: Barcelona have €25m left for signings

Budget may even be left for next season

My piece for MARCA




French left-back Lucas Digne became Barcelona's latest signing on Wednesday but the move hasn't exhausted the club's transfer budget for the current season, according to the Catalan club's director of sport Albert Soler.

The deal taking the defender from Paris Saint-Germain involved an up-front fee of €16.5 million, with an additional €4m in add-ons.

"We have between €23m and €25m left for signings and our sporting needs," Soler told reporters, "we are able to make more acquisitions, and if we don't feel the need, then we have extra budget for next time.”

He also praised the form of Denis Suarez, recently re-signed from Villarreal, and said that the transfer ban imposed by FIFA had made more of an impact on the club's youth set-up than the senior side.

"We would like to have more youth products make the first team," he said.


"But that's not always possible."


ORIGINAL ARTICLE HERE AT MARCA IN ENGLISH

Roma closing in on Nacho

Gazzetta dello Sport claim imminent loan move

My piece for MARCA





Real Madrid defender Nacho is one step closer to completing a loan move to Serie A side Roma.

The Italian club would have to pay a loan fee of €2 million as well as taking on board the player's wages and would have the option to buy the Spaniard outright for €11m at the end of the season.


La Gazzetta dello Sport have reported the details of the deal but note that the player remains in Los Blancos' long term plans and that the loan move is still some way from being decided, but the wheels appear to be very much in motion.


ORIGINAL ARTICLE HERE AT MARCA IN ENGLISH

Lopetegui remains a contender for Spain job

Wolves move fails to materialise

My piece for MARCA





Following the departure of Vicente Del Bosque, Julen Lopetegui remains very much on the radar of the Spanish federation as they look for a successor for the senior team.

The Basque coach finished his tenure at Porto this summer and despite reports heavily linking him with a job in England, he remains a free agent.

Lopetegui enjoyed great success coaching at underage level for the national side and has worked with many of the players currently involved with La Roja in this capacity.


There were reports that the Spaniard would be named new Wolves boss, with a related Chinese takeover since failing to get off the ground, pushing Lopetegui to the Spain role, according to Radio MARCA.


ORIGINAL ARTICLE HERE AT 

Gimenez facing massive decision


Defender attracting interest from Europe's top clubs

My piece for MARCA





With his future very much up in the air, Jose Maria Gimenez has officially joined up with his Atletico Madrid colleagues for pre-season training, along with Diego Godin who also featured for Uruguay during the Copa America Centenario in the United States.

Featuring 37 times last season, the defender lost his place to Stefan Savic towards end of the campaign, the Montenegrin arriving back for pre-season a full week before his teammates.

But the Uruguay international was selected for many of the biggest games in 2015/16 and it is clear that Diego Simeone values having competition for places in this crucial area of the team and there is no reason to think that he is unsettled at the Champions League runners-up.

Gimenez's performances even drew suitors in the shape of Real Madrid, Juventus, and also Pep Guardiola's Manchester City, but as far as Los Rojiblancos are concerned his buyout clause of €65 million remains non-negotiable.

Atletico are in the process of welcoming back players who have been on international duty with new signing Sime Vrsaljko due to join up with the team on Sunday, followed by Koke, Juanfran and Nicolas Gaitan, with Yannick Ferreira Carrasco and Antoine Griezmann both on extended leave until August 4.


ORIGINAL ARTICLE HERE AT MARCA IN ENGLISH

12 July 2016

Tim Duncan retirement marks end of an era in NBA

Gasol denied chance of lining up alongside legend

My piece for MARCA 





As arguably the best power forward the NBA has ever seen, Tim Duncan has announced his retirement after 19 seasons as a professional.

The retirement of the five-time champion, coupled with that of Kobe Bryant marks the end of an era for the NBA and means he won't be lining out alongside the new signing for the San Antonio Spurs, Spaniard Pau Gasol.

After being drafted by the Spurs in 1997, he was named rookie of the year in his first season and the 40-year-old will leave a massive void to fill at at the franchise.

He helped the Spurs to glory in 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2014 and was also named MVP in 2002 and 2003.


He retires having scored 26,496 point in 1,392 matches, for an average of 19.0 per game.


ORIGINAL ARTICLE HERE AT MARCA IN ENGLISH

Ronaldo-mania on streets of Lisbon

Streets thronged as heroes acclaimed

My piece for MARCA 





Portugal and Cristiano Ronaldo banished the ghosts of 2004 as they celebrated their first senior international title with thousands who lined the streets of the Portuguese capital on Monday.

It was a triumph for the collective style of coach Fernando Santos but the No. 7 shirt of the Real Madrid star was everywhere to be seen amongst the crowd and he was the focus of much of the chants during the scenes of unbridled joy.

The celebrations began the moment the team landed at the airport and continued during a parade where the fans sang 'Ronaldo, Ronaldo!' and 'We are the Champions!’


The culmination of the celebrations came when the captain, who limped off during the final, held the Henri Delaunay trophy aloft from the balcony of Belem Palace.


ORIGINAL ARTICLE HERE AT MARCA IN ENGLISH