08 July 2016

Materazzi: I spoke about Zidane's sister, not his mother

Defender gives his version of events ten years on

My article for MARCA





The former Italy defender Marco Materazzi recalled his infamous tangle with Zinedine Zidane in the 2006 World Cup final, wanting to give his side of the story on an incident which he admits changed his life forever.

Mystery and intrigue has always surrounded the episode that led to Zidane head-butting the Inter stalwart in the last act of his professional career, in what had become one of the most iconic and controversial moments in the history of the game.

"What I said was stupid," Materazzi told L'Equipe, "but it didn't deserve that reaction.

"You would hear stronger words said on the streets of Naples, or Milan, or Paris, much more serious things.

"The most common version of events until now has been that Materazzi insulted Zidane's mother but the Italian denies that this was the case.

"My mother died when I was 15, i would never have insulted his."I spoke about his sister.”

Materazzi said he regrets that the incident overshadows the whole final, and that he wishes he was remembered more for scoring as Italy claimed the crown on penalties.


”But it doesn't mater, I don't hold any grudges and never will."

ORIGINAL ARTICLE HERE AT MARCA IN ENGLISH

No comments: