17 July 2016

Umtiti pens open letter following Lyon exit

Sign promising defender from Ligue 1 outfit

My piece for MARCA



Making sure not to forget the debt of gratitude he owes to his former employers Lyon, Samuel Umtiti has published a letter to thank everyone back at the French club.

Barcelona have signed the Frenchman who spent 14 years with Les Gones.

"At the age of 22 and for the first time in my life, it's time for me to say goodbye," he wrote on Twitter. "What does that mean? We normally say goodbye when we take a break from something, but that is not the case here.

"I'm not turning my back on Lyon, erasing 14 years of my life, nor am I turning my back on my home; I'm taking all that with me. Lyon is a feeling, it's humility, it's hard work... It's my family.

"I might be moving away geographically but I will never be gone. I'm like that son going out into the world to make his dreams come true, but always in the hope of returning home some day.

"I have so much gratitude and I don't want this message to appear to be a mere platitude. I want to express this gratitude with dedication and sincerity.

"I want to thank Regis Molouba for believing in me. Thanks to Cyril Dolce, Armand Garrido, and Bruno Genesio for helping me through the ranks. Thanks to Remi Garde for giving me my first break in the senior team, all of these people have helped me throughout my career at Olympique.

"My thanks also to Jean-Michel Aulas, who has trusted me and always pushed me to go forward.

"Thanks to everyone who helped me succeed. The coaches, staff and administrators. I would like to thank all the players I worked with at Lyon, with whom I shared the pleasures of hard work and victory. Also CARRE 5, my agents, who have always been there for me.

"I will never forget the fans of Lyon and their encouragement at the Gerland, and off the field too.

"And finally, thanks to my mother, who has been my biggest supporter. Thanks to you, I learned how to become a professional footballer.


"Now it's my turn to live up to everything you have given me."


ORIGINAL ARTICLE HERE AT MARCA IN ENGLISH

No comments: